Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm Going to Ukraine!!!

I have never been overseas before, but when the opportunity arose for the chance to go to Ukraine with the combined choirs of "Cheremosh" and the Ukrainian Cathedral Choir, I really couldn't say no for this once in a lifetime opportunity. I rejoined the choir after an absence of about 5 years and performed with the choir for their 35th anniversary concert. It was a great feeling being back with the choir as I do love to sing. The moment came on Thursday, just past where the tickets for the tour would be booked, and booked they are much to my delight.

The choir will be leaving in September, but not before they do a few performances in Victoria. Starting off in Lviv in Western Ukraine, before touring Western region and then finally finishing off in the capital of Ukraine, Kyiv. The tour will go for a duration of 3 weeks, after which choir members are free to do what they wish in returning back to Australia. Over the coming months, I'll be taking you on a journey through Ukraine and will keep you updated on the choirs progress.

So stay tuned.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

You'll love Ukraine! I have only been the once, but many, many fab memories.
10yrs ago Lviv was more Ukrainian and Kyiv more Russian, but hopefully you will find the capital has reasserted its national identity somewhat.
Highly recommend you get out of the cities and visit rural Ukraine too. It was like stepping back in time, but the people very warm & hospitable.
My best advice is, "learn to like vodka shots". There will be plenty of toasts to drink to along the way. Your hosts will be offended if you don't join in!
:-)

semaphore junction said...

I'm really excited in going there. I will be giving out a lot of information on what the choir will be doing and what we'll be doing after the tour - Going back via Munich and travelling around Bavaria.

Hmmm vodka shots might help sooth or burn the throat after a performance.